Craigievar.jpg
CraigievarCastle_05.jpg
57198768_352804808687920_537669886297715

Craigievar Castle 

Seven-story Craigievar Castle is a stunning example of the original Scottish Baronial style of architecture with a continuous band of corbelling and conical-roofed turrets. This was the achievement of William Forbes, son of William Forbes, 4th Lord of Corse and brother of Patrick, Bishop of Aberdeen. William was initially a financial failure, in spite of massive loans from his brother Patrick. His luck turned with international trading success in the Baltic states, based in the city of Danzig later known as Gdańsk, Poland. This earned him the nickname of “Danzig Willy.” Forbes purchased the partially-completed Craigievar Castle from the impoverished Mortimer family in the year 1610 and finished the building in 1626. The castle originally had more defensive elements including a walled courtyard with four round towers; only one of the round towers remains today. Sir William died in 1627.

In 1630, Sir William's son, aiso called William, used the family fortune to become a Baronet. King James VI created the Baronetage of Nova Scotia in 1624 as a means of settling the Nova Scotia plantation. He intended to create 100 baronets, each of whom was to support six colonists for two years (or pay 2000 marks) and to pay an additional 1000 marks to Sir William Alexander, to whom the province had been granted by charter in 1621. After James died in 1625, his son Charles I continued the scheme and added the conditions that the baronets of Scotland or of Nova Scotia should never exceed 150, that their heirs apparent should be knighted on coming of age (21), and that no one should receive the honor who had not fulfilled the conditions.


Sir William, 1st Baronet, died in 1648 and his only son “Red” Sir John, 2nd Baronet inherited the castle. He had eight sons, the first of which, Sir William, 3rd Baronet, whose grandson, also Sir William, 5th Baronet, married the Hon. Sarah Sempill, eldest daughter of Hugh Sempill, 12th Lord Sempill.

In 1825, his grandson, Sir John, 7th Baronet, married the Hon. Charlotte Elizabeth, second daughter of James, 18th Lord Forbes. By the early 19th-century, the Craigievar Castle tower had fallen into decay. Sir John had considered demolishing the tower and consulted the Aberdeen city architect John Smith who advised against that course of action, stating the tower was "one of the finest specimens in the Country of the age and style in which it was built." Therefore, Sir John re-roofed and repaired the castle.

In 1884, Sir William, 8th Baronet, became Lord Sempill when he succeeded his cousin, 16th Baroness Sempill. Craigievar passed on to his son Sir John Forbes of Craigievar, the 9th Baronet of Criagievar and 18th Lord Sempill.  His son William, the 10th Baronet of Craigievar and 19th Lord Sempill, was the last private owner of Craigievar Castle.

By 1963, the Craigievar and Fintray estate was entailed and was laden with debt and death duties. William agreed that the National Trust of Scotland would take ownership of the castle and the surrounding policies (land around the castle), and that the government (Inland Revenue) would waive the death duties. William died in 1965 and his two titles split. His Barontecy of Craigievar was passed on to his sibling Sir Ewan Forbes of Craigievar, 11th Baronet. The Peerage passed to his daughter Ann Moira Forbes-Sempill, 20th Lady Sempill. Upon her death in 1995, her son James (Jamie) William Stuart Whitemore Sempill, became 21st Lord Sempill.​

 

The tower was renovated and reharled from 2008 to 2010, featuring a traditional lime-based alternative to concrete-based harling and returning the castle to what would have been its original shade of pink. The castle interior boasts a Great Hall that has the Stuart Arms over the fireplace; a musicians’ gallery; a secret staircase connecting the high tower to the Great Hall; Queen's Bedroom; servants' quarters and several splendid plasterwork ceilings. The castle contains a collection of Forbes family portraits and furnishings dating to the 17th and 18th centuries. The castle is reputed to have been the inspiration for Walt Disney's castle motif.